The Book Fund Terms & Conditions
1. The Pathenaeum Book Fund provides free book subscriptions for schools and disadvantaged children across the UK. Subject to that of the overriding principle, the committee members have absolute discretion as to whom is chosen to receive said book subscriptions.
Location of Nominators and Nominees
2. All nominators and nominees must be resident in the UK.
Nominations for Specific Individuals or School Projects
3. Nominations must be for a specific individual or project. The awarded subscriptions cannot be transferred, refunded or swapped for any reason with Pathenaeum. It is strictly prohibited to swap, sell, give or exchange the subscription with any third party. We will seek to prosecute anyone who disrupts the safe delivery of our subscription to its intended recipient.
4. To be eligible for nomination, a school must have a clear and exceptional need, and the subscription must be designated for a specific project. This project must be of benefit to the school community. The subscriptions provided must be used in accordance with the submitted proposal.
Who is Eligible to be Nominated
5. Children who are disadvantaged due to poverty, bereavement, imprisonment of parent, are in foster care, are young caregivers, or are disadvantaged for another reason.
6. Schools which need extra support.
Who is Eligible to Nominate
7. Persons in trusted professions, such as those who can sign passport photos. However, there are some additional professions. Any nominator will be considered, if they are acting in a professional capacity and are nominating someone who they know in that professional capacity.
8. All those who nominate must declare if they personally know (outside of their professional capacity) or are related to the nominee or their immediate family. Although we do not prohibit such nominations, we do prefer that nominations be submitted by objective professionals.
9. Although trusted professionals can submit up to 10 nominations per month, all second and subsequent nominations within any 30 day period must be declared. In this case, it is unlikely that more than one nominated individual or school project from a single nominator will be awarded a free subscription.
10. Nominators must obtain full consent from the nominee's parent / legal guardian to share their personal information with the Pathenaeum Book Fund. The companies within which the nominators hold their trusted professions must be fully compliant with GDPR.
11. They must be under the age of 16.
12. The book subscription best suited for them must be available to purchase on Pathenaeum's website.
13. They must have support from multiple professionals, who - in their professional opinion -agree that:
Length of the Book Award
14. An awarded subscription will initially last for 6 months. After this, a report must be sent - either by the nominated child's parents / legal guardians, or by the trusted professional who initially nominated the child - to the committee. The committee will then determine if the award will be extended, or if the nominee will be placed on the waiting list or rejected. All these decisions are at the complete discretion of the committee members.
The Costs which are Covered by the Book Award
15. The cost of the books.
16. The cost of packaging and postage.
The Costs which are Excluded
17. Any postage associated with the application process.
18. Any printing associated with the application process.
19. Any costs incurred when receiving or applying to the award.
20. Any travel expenses.
21. Any phone / internet costs.
22. Subscriptions awarded through the Pathenaeum Book Fund are excluded from our Happiness Promise.
23. Subscriptions may not be changed (e.g. the reading level may not be changed) without reasonable justification.
Approval of Pathenaeum Book Awards
24. No nomination will be accepted if the application form is not complete.
25. The committee may take into account any other information which they consider to be relevant when judging a nomination.
26. When the committee is considering a nomination, they may wish to meet with the nominee, their family, and/or the person who nominated them, in order to clarify any concerns or to inform the individual of any decisions that they have reached. In some cases, this meeting can be conducted via phone or video-chat software.
27. Committee members must choose one of three recommendations for every nomination: to reject it, to place on the waiting list, or to immediately award the subscription (subject to availability). The committee will prioritise nominations which they determine have the best chance of utilising the award, will gain the most from it, and who are most in need.
Revision of Guidelines
28. These guidelines are subject to change at any time and without warning, and will be regularly reviewed and revised by the committee and by Pathenaeum.